Outlook for Mac does not support “direct booking”. This is an Outlook for Windows only feature that uses the MAPI protocol. Outlook for Mac uses the Exchange Web Services (EWS) protocol for Exchange connectivity.
Non-MAPI clients can book meeting resources such as meeting rooms and projectors using the Resource Booking Attendant, which is built into Exchange Server 2007 and higher. Booking resources using the Resource Booking Attendant is preferable to using Direct Booking because it supports many more features such as returning information about meeting conflicts, stripping sensitive information from meeting requests, controlling how far in advance meetings may be scheduled and setting availability hours.
To book a meeting resource in Outlook for Mac:
- Create a new meeting in Outlook for Mac by double-clicking an open space on the Calendar or selecting New –> Meeting from the File menu.
- Select the Scheduling Assistant tab at the bottom of the meeting if necessary. If you know the exact name of the resource then enter it into the field to the right, replacing Add New with the name. Otherwise, click the Open Address Book button.
- In the Contacts Search window, enter the first few characters of the resource’s name. The closest matches will appear automatically as you type. Click the Resource button to add the resource to your meeting.
- Alternately, if you are connecting to your account from outside your company network then enter the resource name in the To field instead. The Contacts Search window requires connectivity to a Directory service server (a Global Catalog server), which is typically not shared to the Internet. However, the To field issues a GAL Lookup command directly to the Exchange server and will return simple matches.
- When the resource is selected it will appear in the All Attendees column. A green icon denotes the attendee is a resource. Resources will be added automatically to the To field and meeting rooms will be added to the Location field.
- Use the calendar within the Scheduling Assistant tab to view availability of the resource, selecting an available time.