- Can I backup Outlook for Mac with Time Machine?
- Can I export as .pst files?
- How do I archive my Exchange mail automatically to folders “On My Computer”?
- Are there any third party options to backup my data?
- Can I export my folders as .mbox files?
Currently this page is a work in progress. More options will be added.
Yes, Outlook for Mac can now be backed up with Time Machine.
When you restore, you will need to restore the entire Identity. I suggest saving to the Desktop and rename before dragging it to the Microsoft User Data folder > Office 2011 Identities folder. You can then “Switch Identity” to export individual items if needed.
Not at this time. Outlook for Mac can only import Unicode-based .pst files which are the standard format for Personal Folders files for Outlook (for Windows) 2003 and later versions.
Third Party Option: OLM to PST…Converts .olm file to .pst file $129 US
ANSI-formatted .pst files, also known as Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders Files, were the standard personal folder format for saving data in Outlook for Windows in versions 97-2002. This file format can’t be imported into Outlook for Mac.
If you have the older version of ANSI-formatted .pst file, there is no automated procedure to convert that file to the newer file format. However, you can create a new Outlook Data File (.pst) in Microsoft Outlook for Windows 2003 or later, and then import items from the older file into the new file. You can then import the new .pst file into Outlook for Mac.
For more information about how to create .pst files and importing items, see Help for your version of Outlook for Windows.
If this is a feature that you consider useful, be sure to let Microsoft know by sending them feedback (via the Send Feedback command in Outlook’s Help menu) or use this form.
- Use EagleFiler to archive Outlook messages
- Use SuperDuper! to backup your data. You need the paid version to schedule smart backups.
- Mail Archive X offers several options to archive and/or backup your data.
- For FileMakerPro users, check out Mail to FileMaker Importer
- For Exchange users, Outlook Exchange Accounts Optimizer (OEAO) moves old mail from your Outlook Exchange account to a replicated structure within Outlook local folders.
SP1 (14.1.0) included support for .mbox files. You can now drag individual folders to the Desktop and it will save as .mbox files. This does not get subfolders.
Check out Mail Archive X. It will export from Outlook in different formats including .mbox.