This technique for de-corrupting a Microsoft Word document is known as “Doing a ‘Maggie”, after Margaret Secara from the TECHWR-L mailing list, who first publicized the technique.
MVP John McGhie suggests the following:
- Get all the tracked changes and comments out of the document, save and close,.
- Use Compare Documents at the end if you want markup.
- If the document has corrupted, removing tracked changes won’t fix it. Do a “Maggie”, which will resolve all the tracked changes. For more info on tracked changes, see Avoid Microsoft Word document corruption with a few simple techniques.
1. Create a new blank document in .docx format
2. Carefully select all of the text in the bad document EXCEPT the last
3. Copy it.
4. Paste in the new document.
5. Save under a new file name and close all, then re-open.