Microsoft has released the out-of-band Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 14.2.4 Update. (111 MB) Although this update includes prior updates since 14.1.0, installation issues require first installing the 14.2.3 update on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) systems due to GateKeeper.
According to the update’s description it adds support for MacBook Pros with Retina displays and includes new features and fixes for Outlook for Mac.
The most notable improvement for Outlook is the ability to set a default text encoding for all new messages. This is important for non-English languages such as Greek whose characters sets weren’t encoded properly during sending. Recipients would notice messages with garbled characters. Only customers experiencing text encoding issues when working in non-English languages should adjust this new setting.
To set a different text encoding for all new outgoing messages select Outlook menu –> Preferences… –> Composing, select Preferred encoding for new messages and change the drop down menu to the preferred encoding.
Other fixes and improvements to Outlook include:
- Updated HTML syntax for signatures to improve compatibility with WebKit in Mountain Lion. If existing signatures do not display in the intended color then recreating them should correct the problem.
- Ability to move or delete partially downloaded messages within the same Exchange account.
- Fix for crashes resulting from moving messages to On My Computer folders using a local rule.
- Fix for an issue where incorrect distribution lists were applied when selected from the Select User dialog.
- Fix for downloading mail, calendar or contact items that contained certain non-printable characters.
- Fix for a delegator account’s email address being added to the delegatee’s Me Contact record.
- Fix where a search using a date filter would return incorrect results.
- Fix for messages imported from a PST file into an Exchange account but wouldn’t be readable via Outlook Web Access (OWA) or other Exchange clients.
Users should quit all Office applications and web browsers prior to updating. This update should also be available via the Microsoft AutoUpdate application within one day. Select Check for Updates from the Help menu. It is also available for immediate download.