You might have seen the directions to quit Safari before installing or updating Office 2011. If you are wondering why…. Office 2011 installs Internet Plugins ( SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin SharePointWebKitPlugin.webplugin). Outlook also uses the Safari WebKit for rendering HTML so if Safari is left open when installing this could result in problems.
The installer only looks for the three most popular browsers (Safari, Chrome, and Firefox) to quit. If you are running another browser be sure to quit it too.
Installer scripts also quit some of the hidden applications like the Microsoft Database daemon and Office Reminders. I’ve seen scripts fail to quit applications so I suggest that you quit all applications before installing or updating Microsoft Office for best results. Easy Way:
- Launch the MAU by selecting “Check for Updates” under Help in any Office application
- Select the MAU in the Dock and select “Keep in Dock”
- Log Out of your User under the Apple in the Menu bar.
- When you log back in, hold down the Shift key to disable all startup items.
- Select the MAU in the Dock. Download updates and install.
- Restart after installing.
- Remove the MAU from the Dock.