Exchange setup script updated for Outlook 2011

Since the announcement about Office for Mac 2011’s release date, I’ve had quite a few enterprise administrators asking if I’d be updating my Entourage Exchange Setup script for Outlook for Mac. I’ve just posted version 4.0 of the script.

For the most part, the script is the same as its predecessors, but quite a bit had to be rewritten to accommodate Outlook’s new AppleScript definitions and behavior when creating a new Exchange account. I’ve also re-arranged some parts that I’ve always felt were oddly out-of-place and added a dscl option for reading user E-mail addresses from a directory service.

I’ll be demoing it for the first time at Exchange Connections in a session with Nadyne Richmond from the Macintosh Business Unit at Microsoft (EXC13: Administrating Macs in an Exchange Environment) in Las Vegas on Thursday.

Version 4.0 is specific to Outlook for Mac. Version 3.1 of my Entourage Exchange Setup script is still available for download from the Entourage Help Page.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome. My contact information is in the download package.

Share this:
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • del.icio.us
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Google Bookmarks
  • PDF
  • Print

10 comments to Exchange setup script updated for Outlook 2011

  • You rock! We’re going to test this now. 🙂

    Don

  • Chris

    having some issues with the

    set first name of contact id 1 to firstName
    set last name of contact id 1 to lastName

    part of the script

    Thank you for making this available for everyone!!

  • Travis Gere

    Hi William, this is a great example and saved me a bunch of time. Unrelated, I am having a difficult time finding any references to which API methods are exposed for Communicator, do you happen to have an example of how script setup of Communicator account?

    • To date I have nothing for Communicator, which has no AppleScript support. However, it does use .plist files, which means it should be manageable using MCX. This isn’t something I’ve had an opportunity to explore but I’ll look into it and see if I can find enough information to put together an article.

  • Is it possible to set default LDAP for address book lookups using the defaults command? The default seems to be “All Folders” which does not work in one enviorment that we’re deploying to. We want to set default LDAP to “Default Global Address List (LDAP)”…can we push this setting to all users via defaults?

    Thanks,
    Don

  • nick

    Hi William, I hope you’re still monitoring this post! I just tried to set up your script for my exchange environment, and I’m running into problems- I’ve customized the script with my information and placed it in your suggested location, set up outlook as I wanted in a new account, and then ran the script to copy the necessary files into the user template. All of that seemed to work without issues, but when I create a new account and launch outlook from within it, the script doesn’t seem to execute. The files from the user template are being copied into the new user directory, so I’m not sure why it isn’t executing. Any tips for where I should start investigating?
    Thanks!

    • Hi Nick!

      A few things:

      1. Make sure the script is in place on your setup machine before you select it in Outlook.
      2. Make sure the schedule is enabled (checkmarked).
      3. Make sure the script is set to run At Startup in the schedule.
      4. If you’re running on Lion then you may need to compile (re-save) the script on a Lion machine. I haven’t personally tested Lion but I have had someone tell me it works just the same.

      • nick

        Hi William, checked all those items (i initially saved the script on a lion machine, so that was done from the beginning), and it’s still not working. I ran the script manually from script editor, and it’s giving me this error:
        error “Can’t get name of «class curu».” number -1728 from name of «class curu»

        I’ve got the getEMailAddressUsingDSCL value set to false, even though I’m bound to AD since the AD plugin in 10.7.1 is unreliable. let me know if you want to switch this over to email instead of comments.

        • nick

          ok, i figured it out, william.
          The error I mentioned above was due to the applescript file being corrupted somehow. I never edited those lines, but they got changed somehow. Anyway, I reverted to a new copy of the file, and that took care of that. It’s working as expected now. Thanks!