Some ISPs provide a standalone version of Entourage to use with their Exchange accounts. For users that have purchased the Home & Student version this presents a problem installing. Joey, a newsgroup member posted these steps that have proven successful for other users.
- I removed my current Entourage installation from the system and then rebooted.
- I installed the full Office 2008 Suite via DVD (including Entourage; no custom install, just let it run). No reboot.
- Once the Office 2008 install completed, I then installed the .dmg of Entourage from my mail provider. Installed without a hitch. Still no reboot.
- I then installed Office 2008 SP1, which I had already downloaded from Mactopia. I then rebooted.
- Once back up, I installed 12.1.1 and 12.1.2 in succession, both of which I had downloaded the .dmg files as well. I then rebooted.
- After the system was back up, I started Entourage without issue. Found my mail, and I am able to send from my Exchange based email addy. I then started up the rest of the Office Suite without issue.
- Be careful that the Microsoft Autoupdater (MAU) is updated to 2..2.0.
- Always quit all running applications by logging out/in with Shift key down to disable all startup items when installing.
- I also suggest that once you get the standalone version installed to make a backup copy in case you have to reinstall in the future.